Unit 3: Poetry
This week in school we are learning all about different kinds of poetry. Did you know that poetry is often performed. There are poetry competitions where people memorise different types of poems and use actions, expression and sometimes music to make them interesting.
Read through the different poems. (or research your own poems)
- What do you like/dislike?
- Is there any alliteration?
- What other features do you notice? (metaphors, similes, onomatopoeia, rhymes)
- How many verses are there?
Choose a poem to memorise and perform to your family.
Read the poem 'On the Ning Nang Nong'. Can you perform the poem replacing the onomatopoeia with sound effects? Remember onomatopoeia is a word which sounds like a noise. (bang, crash, bong, jibber-jabber)
- What is a haiku?
- What features does it have?
- Clap out the syllables.
Can you write your own haiku?