School Logo


School Information Report


At Hardwick and Cambourne Community Primary School, we are highly committed to creating a stimulating learning experience that is inclusive of all children.  We want every child to reach their potential and emerge from school with a life-long love of learning.


What do we mean by Special Educational Needs?


A pupil has SEN where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, namely provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age.  We offer a graduated response for children with SEN to help overcome barriers, make progress and emerge from a school with confidence and a love for learning.


How do we identify children with SEN?


We will assess each pupil’s current skills and levels of attainment on entry, which will build on previous settings and Key Stages, where appropriate. Class teachers will make regular assessments of progress for all pupils and identify those whose progress:

  • Is significantly slower than that of their peers starting from the same baseline
  • Fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress
  • Fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers
  • Widens the attainment gap

This may include progress in areas other than attainment, for example, social, emotional & mental health.


Slow progress and low attainment will not automatically mean a pupil is recorded as having SEN. 

When deciding whether special educational provision is required, we will start with the desired outcomes, including the expected progress and attainment, and the views and the wishes of the pupil and their parents. We will use this to determine the support that is needed as set out below.


Our Graduated Response to SEND


Universal Provision

We provide all children with the opportunity to make good progress by making reasonable adaptations to the curriculum, taking into account different needs and abilities.  This is called 'differentiation', and it is normal within a classroom to have different levels of work going on at the same time.  At the heart of this is 'Quality First Teaching' whereby teachers draw on a wide range of strategies and resources that can be used to support learning.


Targeted Support

From time to time a child may fall behind or stop progressing, for a variety of reasons.  If this happens, we will offer 'targeted support' which is often in the form of a group catch-up programme or intervention led by an adult for a specific length of time.  It could also be in the form of specific resources that a child is given to use. The results of these interventions are carefully monitored to ensure that progress is being made.  If the intervention works, then the child will close the gap and return to making progress.  If, despite interventions and targeted support, there is still a significant gap,  between a child and their peers, then we move to the next level of support.


Special Support and Special Educational Needs

This is the term given to all children who are deemed to have an ongoing Special Educational need.  We record the names of these children on our SEN register, which is updated each half term and shared with staff.  It may be that support for these children comes from within the school team and resources, or that the school requests extra help from outside agencies such as Specialist Teachers of Educational Psychologists.  Most SEN support children will be given an Assess, Plan, Do, Review (ADPR), which will have specific targets based around their needs.  These targets are written by the teacher with input from the child, where possible, and parents. 


Specialist support will only be sought when the school has carried out assessments, planned a course of action and reviewed the results over at least two terms, in most cases.  Specialist support service require the school to give evidence of the Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle in order to access their services.  The exception to this is Speech and Language therapy.


The Assess, Plan, Do, Review process and document (ADPR)


This is the process that we use to ensure that the extra provision we provide for children with SEN is matched to their specific needs.








Supporting children moving through phases of education


When children with SEN are joining or leaving the school we will liaise with the other setting to help your child settle into school and ensure that appropriate provision is in place. We ensure that parents are given the opportunity to share vital information in advance as this is valuable. We also liaise with other settings when a child joins us, or leave us. We have strong links with our feeder preschools and local secondary schools.

As a child travels through the school, information is shared between teachers and the SENCO maintains an overview and ensures that teachers are aware of the SEN in their class, at the start of each year.


What needs we cater for


Our school currently provides additional and or different provision for a range of needs including:

  • Communication & Interaction- This area refers to children with speech, language and communication difficulties and or understanding the rules of social communication and interaction such as Autism.
  • Cognition & Learning – This covers specific areas of difficulty such as Literacy difficulties or Maths difficulties. It also covers situations where a child’s development is delayed over several areas.
  • Social, Emotional & Mental Health difficulties- This area covers emotional issues, as well as specific issues such as ADHD.
  • Sensory & or Physical needs- This covers sensory impairment such as hearing or visual difficulties, as well as physical disabilities


Consulting and involving parents and pupils


We see supporting SEND as a collaborative process that involves the child, their parents or carers, and the school. The most effective way of supporting children is when school and home work closely together. Parents will be kept fully informed and can ask for a meeting with the teacher if there are concerns. The teacher should always be the first port of call however, parents can contact the SENCo if needed. APDR meetings are offered on a termly basis, and are longer than a usual parent consultation to allow a full discussion. These meetings will usually be with the teacher.

The SENCo on the Hardwick campus is Leila Coe-

The SENCo on the Cambourne Campus is Lisa Eadon- 


What qualifications do the SENCOs have?


Jemma Hoban(currently on maternity leave) has completed the SENCo award and has over 8 years experience in the role.

She also has:

  • National SENCo Award
  • Dyslexia Level 3 Training
  • Makaton Level 1 Training


Leila Coe has over 15 years experience in the role

She also has:

  • Post Graduate Certificate in Child and Adolescent Counselling (Cambridge University)
  • AET (Autism Education Trust) Level 3 training
  • Dyslexia Level 2 training
  • Makaton Level 1 Training


Lisa Eadon is currently completing the SENCO award.


Useful links


The Local Offer sets out the Local Authorities approach to supporting SEND:


Early years Local Offer:


Information about developing the Local offer:


SENDIASS (parent partnership) offers impartial and confidential information, advice and support to parents and carers who have a child or young person with special educational needs: